Ubuntu is obviously lack of a good download accelerator + manager. I have tried so many download accelerators, some provide promising download speed but lack of a good GUI for management (Axel), some well-integrated with GNOME but lack of features (Gwget), etc…
So far, i have found JDownloader is the best available among them.
JDownloader is open source, platform independent and written completely in Java. It simplifies downloading files from One-Click-Hosters like Rapidshare.com or Megaupload.com – not only for users with a premium account but also for users who don’t pay
Let’s see what JDownloader offers us:
– Platform independent. ( JDownloader is written in Java so make sure you have JRE installed )
– Download acceleration with multiple connections
– Automated downloads from Rapidshare, Megaupload and more ..
– Powerful OCR ( Anti-CAPTCHA )
– Support themes.
– Many additonal plugins and modules. And so many more features.
– JDownloader is well-integrated with Firefox through Flashgot. But if you’re using another web browser like Chromium, you can turn on Clipboard monitoring feature. This feature will monitor your clipboard and automatically imports the links in clipboard.
– JDownloader has a powerful OCR which means, you no longer have to enter CAPTCHA. JDownloader will do it all for you.
– You also can add your premium account if you have one.
– The only problem seems to be the startup time. Java makes JDownloader platform independent but also make the startup time “sluggish”. But if it ain’t problem, JDownloader is really worth-trying.