1. Basic customizations
– Make it transparent: Right click on Gnome panel and go to Properties. On tab Background, select Solid color and move the slider to choose your desire transparent level.
– Choose custom background image: on the same dialog, you can also choose the background image. For the background, you can search on Gnome-look with the keyword “gnome panel”. The screenshot below was taken with cKPanels.
2. Customize the menu bar
I’m talking about the custom menu bar with “Applications, Places and System”. You can edit those text with a little tweak.
– First, create a file with the content same as in here and save it as “messages.so” for example.
– Edit the file with your preferred text. I myself chose “Apps, Goto and System”.
– Issue the command below in the terminal. If you save the file as “messages.so” so the command would be “msgfmt messages.so”. If you got an error of missing ‘gettext‘ package, you can get it from the synaptic or from here.
sudo mv messages.mo /usr/share/locale-langpack/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/gnome-panel-2.0.mo
– And restart gnome-panel at last to take effect.
3. Mac-like menu bar
If you are a Apple maniac, you would definitely love gnome-globalmenu. For Karmic Koaloa, add the PPA here to your source, update and install gnome-globalmenu. Other Ubuntu distro, you can grab gnome-globalmenu on its homepage.
There’s more? Share it with me and others : )